Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I have been finding things to fill my time.

First there is the job thing.
Then I move on to other things.
My recipes are a disaster.
I do have a 3 ring binder of favorites to which I've added scraps of recipes cut from magazines
and anywhere else something has caught my eye.
My recipes seem to revolve around the sweet stuff. Shucks anyway!
I decided to tackle the recipe piles.
I'm not done yet, but getting there.
Some of them I'm typing out and will add to the binder, that way when I'm looking for the favorite
recipe for Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes it won't be buried under a ton of paper.
One of these days I should probably try all the things I've put in that binder
so I can either keep them or pitch them.


Other recipes I've just decided to pitch.
With the internet at our fingertips all the time, it is mighty easy to find something delicious.


Today I found a recipe for a gluten free coffee cake.
We aren't a gluten free house, so I used regular flour ....  but I know many of you are.
I do like to test things on unsuspecting folks who come to visit.
This one tested well this evening.
Great recipe for fall ... delicious served warm with ice cream.


penny's apple-brown sugar coffee cake

1 cup plus 2 tsp gluten-free all-purpose flour, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large apples - cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. pieces

Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly grease a 9-in round baking or springform pan. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 2 tsp flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts and cinnamon.

In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour half the batter into prepared pan, top with half the apples and half the crumb mixture; repeat with the remaining batter, apples and crumb mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.


Editors Note: Read all ingredient labels for possible gluten and dairy content prior to use.
Bakers Note: Next time I'll make 2 of these at a time and freeze one for convenient and handy dessert.

No comments:

Followers