First I cut 81 squares of denim into 6 inch squares. (I just came up with any number that sounded good and would give me the most denim out of a pant leg.)
The design was laid out on the living room floor and I started off with strip sewing. The fun thing about this throw is that once you're done sewing, it is all put together. The backing and batting are all sewn in at the same time. When you sew 2 pieces together, you're actually sewing 6 layers, using 1/2 inch seam allowance. The seam ends up on the front side of the throw and the back is completely finished. Getting them to all line up is a bit of a challenge. I had 9 rows ... labeled them so I didn't get messed. up.
It sounds easy ... it is. Just time consuming. The needle on the machine was giving me fits and I was blaming the machine. Went to switch machines and found some denim needles just lounging around. Ahhh! Perfect!! Zipped through 6 layers without more than one more broken needle ... and much less anxiety on my part!
Once all the rows were sewn together I wanted to add a border around the edge. Now comes the problem. I did the top and the bottom out of pieces that I had cut to 4x6 size and sewn into a row.
Rather than finish the edges with any kind of binding, I ran a stitch all the way around the edge, 1/2 inch seam.
Then off to the washing machine. Threw it in, cleaned up the mess of a washer after all that stuff coming loose in there, into the dryer and voila!
Now to trim the edges of all the fraying fabric.
Then you brush the seams. On the You Tube instruction they had used a stiff bristled hair brush. I'm not about to go buy a hair brush to brush a quilt. I used a stiff bristled scrub brush and it worked fine. This blanket's seams aren't nearly as soft looking as the one on You Tube, but we throw them through the washer quite frequently around here. It'll just need a few more trimmings until it can't ravel anymore.
It isn't big enough to wrap up in ... needs a few more rows. But it did work for snuggling under yesterday evening.