Saturday, December 18, 2010

Life on Montague Island

Montague Island is probably an incredibly beautiful place in the summer time. I'm not sure about right now. (If you click on the link it should take you to a satellite view of the island. The longer island in the middle of the page.) Track the water up the page and to the left to hit Whittier. That is where the truck is sitting in subzero temps ... maybe it will start when they make it back there.

I just got a call from the Coast Guard in Anchorage. Jari is still with the Auxillary Coast Guard and has a radio with their frequency. He contacted them ... they contacted me to let me know they were fine. At least the CG knows there are people out there ... they won't leave them there.

In the meantime, I believe this is the cabin they are staying in. At least a summer time view of the cabin. Looks downright cozy, doesn't it? Maybe for a summer getaway with your bride. :) Looks dry and I know he brought a chainsaw along ... they have wood.

An aerial view courtesy of Google.

Juha ... want to join them next year?
I did learn something yesterday from someone who has been there many times.
This is NOT the time of year to be going.
Go in August or September ... at the lastest October.

No comments:

Followers