Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Visitors and rhubarb

The two together ... great combination!
We had a houseful Monday evening. Super fun. Thanks to all of you for coming over. Always a treat to have folks over.

My rhubarb doesn't exactly look like this picture. My rhubarb has gone wild and is being picked constantly. How much pie can you make and still fit in your clothes at the end of the summer?! Shucks! I tried something new last week and must share the recipe with you. We used it all up last night ... and it was a serious hit.

If you have access to rhubarb .... and need some other way to use it ... here's a great one!

Rhubarb Slush Punch

8 cups rhubarb, chopped
8 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3-oz package strawberry-flavored gelatin (dry)
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice

Cook rhubarb and water in a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 20 minutes. Strain and discard pulp; return liquid to saucepan. Heat liquid, then add remaining ingredients; stir until sugar and gelatin dissolve.

Freeze mixture in a 2-quart plastic food container. When serving, put frozen punch in a punch bowl, and add 2 quarts ginger ale. Serve.  Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

I did what the recipe said and ended up with twice as much ... my rhubarb is quite moist in the beginning of the season. Tonite I'm making more, but only adding enough water so the rhubarb doesn't burn in the bottom of the pan while it cooks. I added lemon lime soda to the frozen stuff in a pitcher ... and it was awesome! Good enough to use up every drop of it ... along with 8 litres of soda. I'll let you know how the more concentrated version works out. I plan to just add the water when I make the punch. I might have to start hunting another freezer ... just for rhubarb! Try mixing with lemonade ... (I'm seriously wishing I had a bunch of that in the freezer right now!) or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Let me know how it works out!

No comments:

Followers